[Ayatana] Unity's multi-monitor experience

Hi!

I just today switched my main system to using unity. I must say it's a
little weird to see it on a form-factor other than a netbook, but I'll
get used to it and it works quite well.

I use a dual-monitor setup. Using unity, I've realized screens maximized
on my secondary display show without menus, as expected, since it
appears in the top panel on the primary display.

I find this to be a little complex usability-wise. Having the menus on a
different screen than the application itself bring up the following
potential cases:

a) assuming the mouse is on a different monitor, move the mouse pointer
to the monitor that has the window I'm interested in, click, then move
back to the primary display for menus.

b) assuming the mouse is already on the primary display, click the icon
for the application on the launcher, then move to the menus

c) assuming the mouse is already on the right screen for an application
(though not the primary); move to the primary display, click the menu,
proceed with whatever dialogs may appear on that display following the
menu click, then return to the application on a different monitor

It seems to me like this is a lot of mouse movement for little use.
Admittedly, one could use the keyboard or set lower sensitivity for the
mouse, but I feel this could be fixed differently.

For discussion, I'm bringing up the following two options:

1) Use the application's own menu bar (so back to standard menu bars in
applications)

2) Extend or show a top panel on all monitors, and use it to display
menus for the applications on that screen.

--
Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu-tl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl@xxxxxxxxx