Re: [Ayatana] Sound Menu

Hi Mark,

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 20:21, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/11/10 01:36, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:54, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Because of the potential issues horizontal navigation introduces in
indicator menus, we have tried to take great care to specify the exact
behaviour whenever horizontal nav within a menu is a possibility. Please
do report cases that don't work, or which are not precisely and
completely spec'd.

I'd like to know if you have a spec or guideline for how to use horizontal menu elements.
The Sound Menu wiki didn't specify anything about horizontal menu elements, the only reference is this mail of yours..

What i know so far about how to design with horizontal elements:
* use only where necessary
* try to design for easy pointer-aiming ( as few horizontal elements as possible)
* look out for cases of mutual exclusion to help reduce the number of simultaneously displayed items
* use for frequently accessed controls that must be close to each other
* use for  controls that have a special semantic proximity (e.g. backward, pause/play, forward)

looking through the Indicator Menus, i found 2 places where horizontal elements were being used so far, both in the Sound Menu:
a) the volume bar with the Mute button (loudspeaker with no waves), Fader, Full Volume Button (loudspeaker with three waves).
b) playback controls

what can we deduct from this?

First of all, that we have two Mute buttons in the Sound Menu...
Second: It *is* possible to design a comfortable menu interaction experience with horizontal elements.

I don't think we have a comprehensive horizontal-nav guideline, yet. I do think we have a policy that cases where horizontal behaviour is introduced need to be carefully thought through and documented -

The Sound Menu spec is exemplary, thanks for that!

I thought for example that the Sound Menu specified the following behaviour for the playback controls: moving down or up to the playback controls should place the visible focus on the play button, where space would pause/play, and left/right would trigger previous/next returning the focus immediately to the play button.

It might be specced, but it's not implemented. I didn't find a bug for that yet, so here's a new one:
"no visible focus on horizontal controls" https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-sound/+bug/673185

the keyboard controls don't work for me, yet, i guess that's still in the making, is it?