Re: [Ayatana] Allowing windows to move past launchers

On 09/12/10 17:43, Sam Spilsbury wrote:
> My idea was this:
>
> 1) On the intellihide case:
> [...]
> -> When resizing a window, if the resize border touches the launcher,
> it goes away, easy

I'd like to see a proximity "push" in this case. When the window is
brought "close" to the launcher, we start to "push" the launcher away.
Say, when the edge of the window is 10px from the launcher, we start to
move the launcher 1px for each 2px it approaches. When the window gets
to the point where it would have touched the launcher, the launcher goes
away.

I think this would feel a little more organic and real than the current
"insta-trigger". The px values might best be shared with the notify-osd
proximity-effect fade boundary too.

> 2) On the "fixed launcher" case:
>
> -> We set the strut property, so no implicit incorrect placement
> -> On maximization the window does not cover the launcher
> -> Windows cannot be resized underneath the launcher
> -> Windows cannot be moved underneath the launcher.
>
> The reason for the fourth one is because we have the window buttons on
> the left - we do not want to have to obscure them  in the case that we
> move a window.

Let's do some testing with a less rigid interpretation - allow the
window to be resized or moved so its left edge is under the launcher,
but make sure it encounters some resistance when it touches, before
pushing through under the launcher.

Mark