Re: [Ayatana] Graceful degradation of Unity

Hi Mark,

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 17:35, Mark Curtis <merkinman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Unity requires 3d compositing.  For those without adequate hardware, it falls back to the GNOME Panels.  While I understand for this cycle effort should be put into getting Unity functioning, I think for the future a better fallback should be created. For one the GNOME Panels won't be supported forever so it's not a viable alternative in the long run.  Two, the UI change from Unity/Panels is drastic.  Look at Windows 7, if the user can't enable the compositing, the UI is still similar, it doesn't reset to an XP style of UI.

i agree.
It used to be X or CLI. Now we're a bit better than that i guess.
Docky is an excellent alternative, if only it could use Compiz' Scale plugin when you click an app icon for the second time..
That would make it consistent with the Unity Launcher, and overall more comfortable.
Minimizing can still be done via Window Decoration, or via right-click context menu.

The default for Workspaces should also be 2 rows and 2 columns, that way we'd have the same Wall.

These are small fixes, i think, which would make the two desktops more alike..