Re: [Ayatana] Desktop Silent Mode

On 16/12/10 18:42, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi SABDFL,

Yikes, that's much better in lowercase. In upper, it's more D than :-D

> This has probably been lying around for so long, because of design
> conflicts with how the Ayatana subsystem is currently wired.
> * Presence has no local effect

Well, don't think of that menu as presence, think of it as "desired
presence". I.e., if the user wants to be present, she can signal it
there, and we can make it so.

> * Presence has no effect on Skype (except with Pidgin running)
>    -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-me/+bug/684678

Don't worry about Skype for now - get a great design, and we'll have a
word with them. Everything is possible.

> * System Sounds are not connected with notifications (perhaps with
> Dylan's patch?)
>    -> Dylan, what's the status/bug ;) ?

Yeah, I'm keen to get that sorted out too :-)

> Busy aka DoNotDisturb has been around for as long as i know Presence
> in IM, now is the time to implement it for the local system.
> I would like to discuss the above problems in order to get some
> opinions, before i am confident that i can draft a simple spec for
> "Silent Mode" aka "Do Not Disturb" aka Presence="Busy".

I'm not sure Busy is the same, but I think "Silent" and "DND" are the same.

> * Invisible doesn't really work - it jumps to busy always

Let's get a spec together, and perhaps a hero will step forward.

> * the Session Menu is on the wrong side of the panel (imo)

Fuggedaboudit ;-)