Re: [Ayatana] media vs apps

Hi Jean, thanks for your thoughts on this!

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 14:41, Jean Levasseur <levasseur.jean@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2010/12/21 Frederik Nnaji <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx>

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 17:56 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Personally, if I were to click on a button labeled 'Photos and
> Videos', I would expect to find those files there rather than editors,
> etc.

[...] 2 things: first, there are good content management software for both music (rhythmbox, banshee) and photos (f-spot, shotwell) but none for videos.  For videos, there are just players as far as I know.

Jason, would you like to say something at this point?

I know banshee has a video library, and banshee being now the default music library software in Ubuntu it might as well serve as the default video player/manager in Ubuntu as well.  Next, photo management software often offers several ways to modify their content, on the contrary of the other content management softwares that are just that: library management and player.  That might be a reason people get confused when they access shotwell or f-spot: they think those are primarly photo editors rather than photo managers.

yes, i think you're right. people want to read their email, so they click on "Email", or any other icon that makes them believe they will find email by touching it.
Clicking is the next best thing to touching.

If you click "Music", and you're confronted with a couple of different apps, then something is wrong.