Re: [Ayatana] The Unity launcher and minimized windows

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently the Unity launcher in Natty does not offer any way
> to restore minimized windows if another window from the same
> application is opened (the scale plugin is invoked instead,
> considering only non-minimized windows).

I believe the intended behavior for now is to do what was happening
last version and to show minimized windows on the spread initiate. The
reason why this is taking so long is because I have long held a policy
of *not* supporting this behavior since it is full of hacks and breaks
many applications which are stupid about the way that they treat
minimization. It's in 0.9.2 as a "workaround" because that's the way
it should be IMO.

> I suppose this is because it's just an alpha, but what is
> the intended behavior in the final version?
>
> Making the scale plugin include minimized windows the same
> way it includes non-minimized windows, I think it's a bad
> idea. Minimized windows are in a different state and that
> should be visually shown.
>
> I'm attaching an ugly, made-in-five-seconds mockup with a
> suggestion: when an icon is clicked in the launcher and some
> windows of the app are minimized and some are not, the
> launcher shows the minimized ones as icons below.
>
> That way the user knows which windows will be restored and
> which ones will be just focused when selected.

Sounds cool. Unfortunately you didn't attach anything :)

> It also gives less trouble to compiz by not asking it to
> generate previews for minimized windows.

Too late ;-)