Re: [Ayatana] The Wall instead of "Desktop"

another thing that disturbed me was that i now had no generic place to put stuff which i didn't want to have in my face all the time..

^^ this

I only ever use the desktop for stuff I need temporarily or that is yet to be organized. I wish there was a corner of the screen where I could drag files into a "box" that was then hidden away (autohide-style) where I could retrieve them later. I'd also like to be able to save files to this box (e.g. download files to it). Sometimes I'd like to empty it (which would move the files to the rubbish bin). I'm visualising a slide-out drawer here.

The big problem with using the Desktop for this functionality is you have to clear your workspace while you access the contents. What I'd like, (and I'm sure I'm not alone) is a globally and quickly accessible temporary storage area which is similar to the Rubbish Bin, but more accessible and for stuff not necessarily destined for deletion.

Luke.