[Ayatana] Killing ourselves softly with our own song?

I'd like to begin with a quote from Ivanka Majic here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/628087/comments/31

"The installation experience should be attractive and effortless to reassure new users that Ubuntu is the right choice. The process should feel safe and should only highlight risk when necessary (e.g. when data will be destroyed)."

Unfortunately the 10.10 installer has resulted in the loss of existing operating systems and data:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/655950

Please check the duplicates!

Thankfully that's finally garnered some attention recently but how many potential Ubuntu converts did we lose because the installer hosed their existing OS and/or data?

Equally as bad, or possibly worse, are the ongoing problems with Wubi installs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/653134

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/682337

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/610898

While I personally don't use Wubi this is a major problem. Quite often people perform a Wubi install with no external media available (neither a Windows recovery disc or an Ubuntu Live CD) and after their first update in Ubuntu they find they can't boot.

What impression do either of these situations leave on potential Ubuntu converts?

I think we need to increase our focus on bugs that destroy data or the ability to boot an existing OS.

These bugs are harming our reputation.