Re: [Ayatana] Sound theme / icon set

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, M. Adnan Quaium wrote:
> On 15 March 2011 15:47, Peterson Silva <peterson.235@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > have a new sound theme this time.
> +1 ... icon set

Hello Peterson and Adnan,

I suspect the answer to these are much along the same lines as
something I gave on AskUbuntu recently, to a question about the fonts:

  "Will there be a Ubuntu Serif font in the future?"
  http://askubuntu.com/questions/26104/will-there-be-a-ubuntu-serif-font-in-the-future

The answer here is that it depends not only on time and enthusiasm
but finding very skilled people and getting them involved---with their
background knowledge and experience.  For doing a full Ubuntu Serif
companion font expansion, I suggested that perhaps means:

 1 Find a type designer who is interested
 2 Work with them to make a beautiful, complementary and hinted expansion

It'll take a while too; before you could even start such a process
(which will take a *long* time) it would be necessary to understand
the background.  What is it _for_?  Why would it be done/re-done?

Lots of people can draw icons, or create sounds or make fonts; but
will the results fit together?  Will they be beautiful as a whole? If
we here working on Ayatana want to push the state of people's
computering experiences forward then there's not much point making
fonts, icons, sounds or backgrounds "for the sake of it".  They need
to definitely improve on what is there already there and we need to be
able to scientifically prove that that is the case.

Once that research and development is done in Ayatana (which will
benefit everyone), you can start to think about the Ubuntu case.
The Ubuntu desktop and brand is a jigsaw of many parts.  Admittedly
not all of those parts fit perfectly at the moment, but if you change
one piece only; the piece next to it might not fit as well.

If you want something to happen and care about it, the best approach
is probably to find the people with the skills and get them interested
in what Ubuntu is---what it's doing and how they can help make a
difference to millions of people's computing lives everyday.  The
sooner one can find the right people, the sooner your and other
people's dreams can come true!

You've each suggested icons and sounds.  Do you have any world-class
contacts in those genres?  Contacts capable of /not/ just designing
sounds or icons, but those who can create guides /for creating/
icons or sounds and prove why the changes are an improvement over
what's available!

	-Paul