Re: [Ayatana] Design problem: Menus hidden by default in Unity

On Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:00:35 AM Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> (It would be interesting to replace maximization with a standard
> function that really *does* make "all the available screen space ...
> dedicated to this window".)

This is one of the most hated features in osx, imo. It takes control away from
the user, and heads to very inconsistent results across different
applications.

> Mac OS X has that in the Help menu for every application.
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOoOvIqiWe0#t=22s> But searching works
> only if you are already confident that the application does the exact
> thing you're looking for. If you aren't, you still need to be able to
> browse the functions of the application. Menus are an information-dense
> way of presenting those functions.

True. I believe in this proof of concept: http://www.afiestas.org/improving-
kde-applications-help-menu-actions-lookup/ ; the dev mitigated this a bit by
also letting the search go through the tooltips of the menu options.

> The difficulty there is that the menu bar would be flickering from the
> menus to the title at a moment when you're probably trying to
> concentrate on something else.

cant we add an animation to purposefully slow down the flicker to something
understandable? I mean when the launcher is hidden there is a visual cue to
where it has gone, why not the same for a menu about to be hidden?

--Saleel