[Ayatana] Unity feedback & suggestions

Hello all,

I've been a little out of the loop as I've been travelling for the past 6 month but when I read unity was to be shipped with ubuntu desktop I wanted to give it a whirl on the netbook/laptop I have with me.  My experience so far has been a positive one, I like the idea and think there is a lot of potential here. It feels like a modern & forward thinking approach to a desktop and I'm very excited to see where it will go. I've found a couple of gripes with it (mostly with basic file manger tasks) and come up with a couple of suggestions: (these may already be resolved as I'm using packaged unity on 10.10).

The Ubuntu button

Unity Shell

  • I'm using a 1.3ghz netbook/laptop and I've found opening the unity shell quite laggy, once I start typing in the search box it gets worse. Opening the shell will be done so many times every day so it really should be instant. Maybe it could be pre-loaded in the background and made visible when it's opened?
  • When you click on the ubuntu button you get the main unity shell. Search is of course the main action here but those large icons underneath (Internet, Office, Games etc) are for me at least, wasted space. I always know what application/file I'm looking for and searching is now the fastest way for me to get to it so I have no need to have those big icons (although my parents would most likely use them). Could you offer users a way to utilise/customise this space? Personally I'd like to see my gmail inbox summary, and weekly agenda from my calendar. Perhaps even gwibber integration so I can get an overview of my social-networking sites?

File management

Unity Launcher Panel

Navigating windows, applications & workspaces

Miscellaneous

As I said at the start I really like unity and look forward to seeing it progress, i find it a lot more usable than gnome-shell. I'm using it exclusively on my netbook/laptop while I'm travelling and look forward to trying it on my desktop and in a work environment when I finish my travels.

Keep up the good work!
- Jimmy