[Ayatana] Fw: Re: Is the Minimize window-button really needed?

I'll sum it up in a few words. The removal of the minimize button is one of the most ridiculous things the Gnome3 team has done yet.

While users have other ways to minimize the window, the "minimize" button still remains by far the most obvious. I think one of the potential pitfalls of Unity is thinking too deep about how WE are going to use it, but not thinking of what new Ubuntu users need.

From: Marco Biscaro <marcobiscaro2112@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Apr 1, 2011 11:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Is the Minimize window-button really needed?
To: nick rundy <nrundy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sex, 2011-04-01 at 09:31 -0400, nick rundy wrote:
After all, the user can simply click the Launcher Icon to "minimize" that window, right? So the user isn't losing this capability.

When minimizing, you "say" to the window: get out my face, I need to do something else and do not want you disturbing. And this can be done with one click: the minimize button. It's always on window decoration, a place that is easy to find and access.

Imagine the following situation: a big screen, with launcher auto hiding. If I want to minimize a windows, all I have to do is click on minimize button. But, if using your proposed solution, I'll need:

  1. Move the cursor to top-left edge of screen
  2. Find the icon that represents the window I want to minimize
  3. Click on it

Beside this, how to lead with multiple windows of the same program, since there is just one launcher? Will the user need to focus the window and click on launcher icon? But if he clicks on the icon again before one window is minimized? What should happens?

So, answering your question:

How do you guys feel about the idea of omitting the Minimize window-button?

I didn't like the idea. My vote is to keep it where it is now.