Re: [Ayatana] why global menubar/application menu isn't such a great idea

Hi mpt,

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 10:45, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kévin PEIGNOT wrote on 05/04/11 14:04:
>     I still don't see why using a global menu on non-maximised windows.
> Even for consistency it's useless : if the menu bar is in the panel
> *just for maximised* windows, every windows will have it's menu just
> over their body --> logical for most of end-users. Vertical space gain
> is still here. You have less move to do with your mouse (imagine for
> menus of a window in the bottom right corner...).
>     If there is one good reason to have menus of un-maximised windows in
> the panel, then explain it to me.

<https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg05114.html>

Cheers

is there a long term vision on where this will lead?
I'm happy we don't have those application menus in the window chrome anymore, thanks to Ayatana.
On the long run, is there some sort of big picture we're moving towards, or a masterplan of future window management?

especially on mobile platforms, videogame consoles and in professional multimedia editing suites i see a trend towards: interaction with content itself vs interaction with content containers (e.g. windows, frames, workspaces).
Are we moving towards such a separation in desktop linux, too?

Understanding that would help me, and perhaps many other readers here, to understand the single steps that are being made, such as the introduction of global appmenus.