[Ayatana] Grid snapping and corresponding animations are sloppy in function and appearance.

The grid animations look ever so slightly rubbish, for a number of reasons.

One which is more of a “design decision” is this: because of the way snap animations start to appear when you're sorta-maybe-nearby to the screen edge, I seem to get a number of abortive animations, usually popping in and out of existence when I'm dragging a near-to-full or full-height window side to side, with its top edge across the top of the panel.  If I'm dragging something of this sort, and my pointer strays up for the duration for the drag, I get a horrible looking, wobbling, convulsing snap animation all the way.

The problem here goes deeper:

I get that the idea is that, when snapping to maximise, you are putting the titlebar on the top panel.  Lovely.  But having that snap effect happen even when I'm not particularly putting any upward pressure on is actually pretty damned annoying. You have the opposite situation to GNOME 3.

In GNOME 3, you have to shove the top edge to maximise, and that's great, but even placing something tenderly against the edges will often result in abortive animations, or, worse, empathy contact lists springing to 50 percent screen size.  In unity, the sides are right, the top is horrible.

Unity's animations imply that the action is “proper” and ready to go at the time when the screen edge is touched.  As a matter of fact, however, if you let go of the window when the animation is still a wee, tiny little orange border about its corresponding window, the effect is no different as if you were pushing the screen edge with all your might.

Furthermore, the animation loses its purpose.  Isn't it there so that, when my mouse is in the right place, it gives me a translucent orange demonstration of what's about to happen?  In that case, it should, upon my mouse being correctly situated, expand smoothly to fill the screen, just as my window will, should I go through with this action.

It doesn't do that.  It does this weird, meaningless proximity… thing.