Re: [Ayatana] Let's have the launcher phagocytize the new system tray

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 19:32, Peterson Silva <peterson.235@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, this inspired me. Do we really need the system tray when similar things can be achieved through the launcher now?

what system tray are you referring to?
perhaps re-read this excellent article by mpt to revive the topic a little..
http://design.canonical.com/2010/04/notification-area/

The same goes for, say, Transmission (when not launched, right-clicking would only show regular menu; after it's launched, right-click would show indicator menu), Ejecter (I'm currently using it, that's why I had the idea), keyboard layout, messaging menu... Everything!

appindicators were a transitional solution for migrating the systray-icons with all the functionality they had to the new category-based Ayatana status indicator menu system. Giving Appindicators the prominence you suggest would be elevating them from a transitional concept to a permanent solution, which, imo, they do not deserve.

Shut down button, with all its options, could also become an icon in the launcher (something not removable, like the rubbish bin is right now).

to be perfectly honest, i would prefer for the power button to remain a hardware thing, but as it is right now, i can live with it being duplicated in the DE's UI for the moment.

I guess it would be better to keep the clock in the panel, though.

yeah, altogether i think the panel must be gotten rid of at some point.

we don't need to forsake a whole bar of display space permanently, only to but a bgcolor behind a bunch of monochrome icons.