Re: [Ayatana] What are the advantages of an application-centric interface?

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Adrian Maier <syraxes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am suggesting that right-clicking on running application has a
> menu option "Start new ...".

You can already do that for applications that have been patched for
Unity, namely Firefox and middle-clicking on the launcher will always
open a new instance ;)

> Switching to a particular instance of an application should of course be
> possible :    for example if there are 3 terminals open it would be nice
> that when hovering the mouse over the icon would open a small
> window or menu  so that the user could click on the desired instance.

Hovering or clicking and dragging which is faster, see my Unity 2.0
mail for more.
This alone would solve much of the window-centric deficits of Unity.

> So I believe that it is possible to please both application- and windows-centric
> users if there is a bit of good will and no fixation on the idea that
> application
> centricity is the ultimate solution.

Absolutely agree.
Thanks for your comments!