Re: [Ayatana] Fwd: Re: Global menu in Oneiric Ocelot (11.10)

Why can't we let the top panel stay and hold the indicators?

1. Panels/notification bars are used in *every* major OS (Windows's is odd at the bottom), from desktops like Ubuntu and OS X to mobile platforms like Android and iOS. It's a very familiar paradigm that people are comfortable working with.

2. The panel can hold lots of functionality (Title bar, notifications, BFB, Menu) at a low cost to screen real-estate (~24px, I think)

3. Removing it requires integrating the indicators with the launcher, which is not what either of them were designed for.

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 14:24, Ed Lin <edlin280@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A very rough sketch based on your image and parts scraped from google images...
http://i.imgur.com/WMLYk.png

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Niklas Rosenqvist