Re: [Ayatana] Focus follows pointer (Was: Re: Understanding the menu problem.)

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Philipp Wendler
<ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use focus-follows-mouse, and I find it very annoying when I have to
> work longer times on machines that don't have it enabled. I don't use
> the "raise window" feature.
(....)

Thank you for this detailed feedback!

I still have some troubles understanding how focused but overlapped
windows are useful in your three cases but obviously it works for you.

Also I notice most of the tasks you do involve two main "active
windows". In unity you can drag windows to either side of the screen
and have them automatically tiled side by side.

> A further advantage is that I don't have to think about where in the
> target window I might click without producing unwanted actions which
> saves further time (and more important: saving my brain from thinking
> about something that has nothing to do with what I want to accomplish).

Couldn't this be solved simply by making all windows behave the same
way: first click focuses and rises (gets trapped by the WM),
subsequent clicks get sent to the application window.

> I don't use the keyboard to switch windows, because I find it annoyingly
> painful to cycle through all the open windows. Or is there a keyboard
> shortcut for "please focus that terminal window right here on the left
> bottom corner of the screen"?

Not really but an helpful keyboard shortcut in Unity which you might
have missed is Super("Windows key") followed by a number. Just keep
the super key pressed for two seconds or so and have a look at the
launcher ;)

> So please, keep FFP useable!

I think as long as Ubuntu largely depends on GNOME and other 3rd party
for its apps you will be able to use it without a global menu and
therefore keep using FFP. For now this should work:

sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk indicator-applet-appmenu indicator-appmenu