Re: [Ayatana] Unity2D -- wow! (And hidden window buttons)

Den 27. aug. 2011 04:57, skrev Eylem Koca:
Just wanted to chime in and say that hiding window control buttons
doesn't bother me at all.

What bothers me is the lack of a "throw-the pointer-to-reveal-Dash"
location on the screen. With current design, you have to aim at the
Ubuntu button and click on it. I really really think this makes the
Dash too far away from the user; it should be more prominent and
accessible. It should be more than "yet-another-start-menu". Am I the
only one who thinks this way??

I don't think it's important to show the dash by hovering over anything. But
how we show the launcher needs to change somewhat. I'm not entirely sure how,
but as it currently works, it's not comfortable.

I have an idea. How about using the "strength" of which you press the pointer towards the screen edge to decide how quickly it appears? That is, if you move it slowly towards the edge, then the wait is longer and if you move it quickly towards the edge, then it is displayed immediately. It might even be possible to make it so that really slamming it into the edge would display the dash? The distance would also play a role in this, using the inertia to understand what the
user wants. If you only "bump into" the edge, then that might be because of
the way you interact with the window. But if you really slam it from ten
centimetres away, then that has to mean you really wanted to hit it.

Perhaps it would also make sense to lock the pointer at the top of the
launcher when you follow it upwards? That way you could just move the pointer to the left and up in order to hit the button and the effect would be very similar
to what we had before. This would be a very unnatural movement if your goal
was to close the window, so I don't think this would be disruptive in any way. And of course, you could just move the cursor around the button if you really wanted to get to the controls. If this is done, then the Ubuntu button needs to fill its area so that it becomes easier to hit. Currently it's possible to place the pointer between the Ubuntu button and the panel so that clicks don't have any effect. I actually think the Ubuntu button should fill that space in any case, to
show that it is a different button.

Best of both worlds? Just a thought.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad