Re: [Ayatana] Regressions in Unity for 11.10?

Hello Tommy,

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Tommy Bongaerts
<tommy.bongaerts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It has the 'Ubuntu botton' integrated in the top panel. I thought that
> this was a very good idea, because it is in a way the 'window' into the
> system.

I thought that too but it seems the people who were given to test
Unity during user testing session had hard times finding the use of
Ubuntu button in the panel, though we will know better once the user
testing for Oneiric Unity is done and published where the BFB is
better.

> I also think it looks more pleasing to the  eye, as it makes the
> launcher look more or less 'locked' into the top panel.

No, I dont think so because now when i use a maximized window is looks
better to atleast my eyes, without the BFB and the weird location
window controls in the panel.

> The dash now has close/minimize/maximize widgets, just like regular
> windows. Very bad idea. It is /not/ a regular window, and should not
> be treated as such. Using the 'Ubuntu button' (or the 'super' key) to
> open/close the Dash made perfect sense

At the moment is does indeed look weird with the colored buttons, the
minimize button is supposed to be dimmed out and not clickable, close
should close and maximize button should toggle between the states of
the dash i.e. fullscreen/desktop dash. Nothing could be more friendly
for a first time user of Unity to close the dash IMO. see the attached
image its supposed to look like that soon I believe.

> When an application is maximized, the close/minimize/maximize widgets
> are hidden by default. To make them appear, the user has to hoover
> over the top panel. This means aiming twice: once to make the widgets
> appear, and then again to click on the desired widget. Seems very
> counterproductive to me.

it depends. I hit the top left corner to show the controls and then
move right for the button i want to hit, is faster than 11.04 and any
other release of Ubuntu with the top panel. Actually I read somewhere
the top left corner should close the window with a blind click (I
might be wrong there though)

> The same is valid for the global menus by the way, but I never found
> this to be problematic myself.

Me neither but the people close to me who happen to use unity for only
empathy have indeed not found the menu themselves.

> It would also be nice if the user had to option not to use 'global'
> menus if they want to.

If an OS provides such type of option to its users then its simply NOT
a good OS to start with.

Thanks!