Re: [Ayatana] Regressions in Unity for 11.10?

Of course, since all of 11.10 isn't molded to your personal preference that means opinions don't count.

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 21:26:42 -0600
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Regressions in Unity for 11.10?
From: gandreoliva@xxxxxxxxx
To: merkinman@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Whims for Unity in Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1. It's sad that changes are decided without usability tests, and opinions don't count. Even if there are reasons for having concerns about the changes in UI, instead of looking for solutions, people that decide changes simply force to use what they believe is the best.

That is, I can accept something new, even if I don't like it. But I have concerns about the changes in design. And the attitude is "no. I like the changes, and all your concerns are invalid. Because I like it and I think 99% the people will love it."

2011/8/31 Mark Curtis <merkinman@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> When an application is maximized, the close/minimize/maximize widgets
> are hidden by default. To make them appear, the user has to hoover
> over the top panel. This means aiming twice: once to make the widgets
> appear, and then again to click on the desired widget. Seems very
> counterproductive to me.
>
> The same is valid for the global menus by the way, but I never found
> this to be problematic myself. Still, it would be a good idea to at
> least provide a user setting to keep the global menus displayed by
> default.
How is it you find it problematic hiding the same three buttons in same position, yet don't for hiding a menu of varying sizes and content?