Re: [Ayatana] Ayatana dev list - attitude

Den 16. okt. 2011 11:33, skrev Tomasz Sałaciński:
Hello,

My question is about the attitude of making changes to Ubuntu. Most replies start with "Users don't want to", "Most users won't do that", "This will make users confused". How do you have such information? My proposal is to make a "Ubuntu poll" application that will gather opinion from users (NOT requiring a Launchpad account). What do you think about it? I am a python programmer, I can make such an app.

You get such data by collecting a number of different users and testing the software on them in a controlled manner. A web poll is not useful because people will be driven by preconceptions and emotion instead of actually analysing what they're doing. For example, I got really upset when the window buttons were moved. I mean, I got enraged. It was completely irrational, and when the rage settled, I just started using the software and it was no problem at all. I would've voted against the best solution out of fear of change. That's a _very_ bad thing to base decisions on.

Science is the best tool. Ever.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad