[Ayatana] List of Ubuntu quirks that should be fixed for Precise

Hi all

I really like Oneiric - the Launcher improvements!!! - and if I should describe it with one word, 'smooth' would be the word.

Since installing Oneiric last week I documented all kind of quirks and faults. Hopes this list is to some use to you and that some of the topics get discussed on the upcoming UDS-P - print/save this list and take it with you :)

The goal for the LTS is polish and to get all common actions done hustle free.

Here accrued points:

→ Hot - Needs to be fixed - IMHO

→ Medium - Should be fixed - IMHO

→ Low - Would be nice if it would be fixed - IMHO

1. Dash

2. Thunderbird

3. Banshee

4. Ubuntu Software Center

5. Nautilus

6. UX (User Experience)

7. Other

8. New shortcuts suggestions:

Shortcuts are a good and easy way to enhance system usability for power users without disrupting the workflow of average users. All common actions should be reachable through shortcuts. The 'CTRL+ALT+[KEY]' combination should be used to start common actions (except CTRL+ALT+t = new Terminal) and SUPER+[KEY] to launch applications and interact with the Unity Shell.
9. Proposals for UX-Tests:
Some system parts have just-to-work in user point of view and USB drive formating and sharing files over an local network are some of them. Both topics have never really worked smoothly (for me and others I talked to) → to complicated. Formating a USB drive is a common action. 'Disk Utility' has  - and ask when formating - to much questions and comes with an cluttered interface = not average user friendly.
Same for Samba. When creating a share and checking the guest box often it is not possible to access the files of the other persons computer. Network sharing is a very common task that has just-to-work. No normal user understands smb.conf.

Here the tests I purpose:

USB drive formating
Samba

Hope the pointed topics are relevant and useful to you.

Greetings
Thibaut

Conclusion:

Jan Moren:
"As a developer I have to say I really like Unity. It's great at getting out of the way and give me more screen real estate for my work. As someone said on /., our desktops really are nothing but app launchers after all. What matters most is how well it gets out of the way, and Unity is good at that."