Re: [Ayatana] Lots of mockups, but what is the problem you're trying to solve?

I think there are two points of view. Designer one and user one.

Designers wants everything to look and feel consistent. Everything needs to be slick and consistent with other parts of the desktop.

Users wants everything to be USABLE. Most of current Ubuntu users don't even notice that X part of the desktop doesn't feel right with Y part. They notice that they can't minimize apps with launcher click, the lenses are something they don't understand, dash works slow etc.

An example:
- User files a bug that ALT-TAB works slow. There is a delay after the alt-tab window shows up. As far as I can remember - bug was closed. It's because it's the design. User STILL feels that alt-tab feels slow. A lot of users still thinks that. But it's not by design, so the bug was closed. Of course - it FEELS consistent. It looks consistent. It's a perfect design. But it's completely unusable. I want to know what window I'm switching to, I don't want to be forced to remember my last focused window. And the mockups you see is the effect of such attitude. Most of the bugs are closed because the resolution doesn't fit the design. People simply don't like the design. As I said - looks great, feels consistent, but it simply doesn't fit to ordinary work. I don't care that GNOME Shell offers a different experience, it's not consistent. It's effective, and that's why I moved away from Ubuntu (I only downloaded everything that I bought from music store). It's like jewelery; it's perfect, looks beautiful, but who uses it to do something else except from looking at it?

I think users will submit a lot of mockups. Users that didn't hear that issue X won't be solved, because this is the design. I think you should pay more attention to what users say, instead of strictly following the "design". Real live users's experience is a lot better than any "my grandpa is able to use Unity without a hitch" study. Mockups are there only because the design technically *IS* correct, but in terms of usability it fails; users just want to fill the gaps.