Re: [Ayatana] Clippy has noticed you've been trying to click on notifications...

There's a risk that users who don't need that explanation will trigger it, when they have to interact with something that happens to be in the notification spot. The faded-out notifications might barely manage to be tolerable in such a situation, but an explanation popping up won't be.

--
Thorsten Wilms

Don't you think that would be a problem once and only once for a few users who trigger it wrongly? they can tell the help menu "dont bug me again. I know what I'm Doing"
I think such heuristic active help will be very important in helping users migrate to ubuntu

< :P >I've put on asbestos underwear in expectation of flaming < / :P >

Alternatively,
at the risk of being repetitive, notifications could accept enough and just enough input
1)to go away ("faded-out notifications might barely manage to be tolerable")or
2)give more info : button to invoke a help dialogue (notification again) telling the user how notifications work and when relevant where to look for more info

example help:

"this is a notification, telling you some news. you can ignore it and it will go away.
to get more information click on the <icon>mail</icon> icon on the top left screen corner"

For some thing with no indicator/status/window (what is an example for this?):
"this is a notification, telling you some news. you can ignore it and it will go away."