[Ayatana] Listing and Finding Lens?

Hey Gang,

Ubuntu 11.10

My good friend said "I've installed Inkscape and gimp and i can't find
them" he continued to try and navigate the Ubuntu lens and got
frustrated with not being able to find them. I told him to type them in
and he just said "What if I can't remember what it's called" and then
said "Oh great I've burned the toast, thanks Ubuntu".

He's going to make a folder on the desktop with links to the apps, since
the Unity lens and bar isn't sufficient for showing what apps are
installed.

Any ideas on solving these issues?

Martin,