Bug Control Application Process

Currently, I am the primary reviewer of applications to join the Ubuntu
Bug Control team.  However, I have concerns that this won't scale well
and that I am not getting back to every applicant in a timely process.
Subsequently, I wanted to start a discussion about how we as a team can
work together to review these applications and hopefully increase the
membership in the team!

James Westby and I had a hallway discussion about this at UDS Intrepid
and I recall the following from it.  Please correct me where necessary
James.

Applications would be sent to this mailing list instead of to me
directly.  This would require someone to moderate the post, in a timely
fashion, since the applicant is not a member.

After the application is received two or three positive endorsements of
the applicant will be required for their approval in the team.
Additionally, the review process should be limited to a one week
(calendar) period after the application has posted to the mailing list.
In addition a negative review of the application may require a meeting
discussing the review and why it was the reviewed that way.  I say may
because if the applicant hasn't done a sufficient amount of triaging
that should be reason enough to deny their membership at that point in
time.

In the event that an application receives a negative review they'll be
given feedback as to why it was rejected and what they can work on.
After a period of two or four weeks they'd be welcome to apply again.

If an application is approved the applicant would be granted membership
in the team for a period of three months.  This three month period is
designed to expire non-active members in the team.

After the three month period the new member can just ping a team
administrator to have their membership extended.

Another benefit of performing the review on this mailing list is that
the mailing list has a public archive which everyone could peruse to
observe the process of their application and any feedback.

I welcome any feedback and comments regarding the proposed process.
Additionally, there should be a separate discussion as to the criteria
to use when evaluating applications.  I'll send another e-mail about
that this week.

Thanks!
--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com