Re: Leaving UT

On 2017-01-06 12:30, Krzysztof T wrote:
Hi,

There was some time that I had obsession about UT. I bought MX4 and
worked really hard by translating various apps, reporting bugs. I
understand that now bigger case is moving to Snaps - that's okey.
But will this (moving to snaps) solve our problem with lack of some
technology (I'm not big tech guy, so sorry imprecise words) to get
apps working in background (in example working GPS navi app while
using another appps)? I think no - if I good understand, Snaps are
simple way how to pack software, not how it works itself.
Will this (moving to snaps) solve [1], [2], [3], [4], [5] or other
important bugs (some of them are 2+ years old) ? I don't think so.

I bought MX4 to help getting UT better.

What I understand for now:

We (Canonical) released some phones, we all worked to get some apps
into it, fix some bugs.
No, we're slowing this part (mainly stops it) to get first Snaps. Next
we'll maybe back to improve system itself.
I had question - why? Why some few years ago, when UT started, why
then was not in the first place to develop and implement Snaps and
then focus on phone development?!

Small tip: What would help? I think this ([6]) in example - not
everyone works on Ubuntu.

For now, I'm giving up with UT. Maybe in the future I will come back.
Despite my grief, I wish UT only good things.

I think you may be missing the point a little. Moving to snaps won't solve those issues. However wouldn't it be a waste of time to burn loads more energy fixing those issues only for this code to be ditched in favour of the new code which may well have some of the same issues?

Makes more sense to slack off on the phones now, plough ahead with the big changes then all speed ahead on phones again once snaps are in. I really do think this change could have been communicated better but I'm certain it's no reason to lose faith.

Gareth