Data loss in .Private

Having completed nearly all items in my taxation/pension fund today I found myself locked out of the crypto keys in my .Private directory. They were simply not there.
As you may know, eCryptfs can store encrypted file names too. The length of these filenames is pretty large which could have led to the issue described in some bug report, removal of the file on failure to create partial one.
This looks like fixed now but I think we definitely need to say that syncing ecryptfs dies is not safe for older versions.
I can't pinpoint the exact date of removal since I needed these files only 4 times a year. Removal to trash, anybody?