Re: time step with viscous damping

Hi Bruno and Vincent,

thanks for your answers.

I have PFC manual on my desk (though I never directly used that code) and
they do define also contact viscous damping. In order to modify the time
step to account for damping effects, they re-define the tangential and
normal stiffness such that their values are increased by some factors.
Hence, the critical time step for viscous contacts should result be smaller
than the one for non-viscous contacts (do you agree?). I could not find out
where the PFC formulas come from, that is why I asked to you about that so
to have an alternative.

I appreciate your help (Sergei, perhaps you have also been using viscous
contacts, any ideas about the critical time step?).

Chiara