Re: time step with viscous damping

Anyhow, according to the equations cited in PFC manual, the critical time step would be smaller for viscous contacts even if the solution is underdamped (at least for the linear dashpot model). Am I overlooking something? Why would be the contrary to you? Sorry, I admit I have no great expertise on this precise topic.

Just a guess. A loading path is equal to a unloading path for a elastic contact. For a viscoelastic contact, the loading path is above the unloading path. So, viscoelastic loading force more then elastic force for given overlap. So, need smaller time step for stability. No?

--
Best regards,
Sergei D.