Re: clang-format (Was: Re: Removing trailing white space, yay or nay?)

Thanks Anton, it makes sense to me.

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 21:02, Anton Gladky <gladky.anton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If we do a one-shot-reformatting - it is also OK. But I would then prefer
> to set the author of this commit, something to "clang-formatter",
> Just to identify, that this particular change was done by this action.

Now I'm unsure myself. Maybe for stable files which we rarely touch the
"cons" of reformatting are more than the "pros".
A special commiter is a very good point. And even if it's done per-file it
would be better to have a commit by that clang-formatter on the top of
actual commit rather than altogether - so the changes don't get hiden.

> For example, my IDE shows at each line, who was the last author
> of the particular line  (git blame basically). Sometimes it is useful to
> contact
> the author of the line/code personally.

Yep, "git blame" will be meaningless. Fortunately that's not the only way
to browse history, but yeah, that's the main downside.

> But again, it is up to the majority to decide, whether to use this tool or
> not.
> But the code is getting more readable, more uniform and professional

It would be an improvement in my view.
Cheers