Re: Periodic Boundary Conditions in DEM

Hi

This is very interesting. I've thought to that many times.
Did you look how the SAPcollider works? This is probably where part of
the solution is.
I would implement periodic boundaries by creating/deleting "ghost"
spheres each time an original sphere is flagged/unflagged. In this case,
the collider will detect the contacts between opposite sides as contacts
between an original sphere and a ghost one. The ghost spheres should be
of a different class, so that engines like
InteractionGeometryDispatcher, PhysicalActionApplier,... will handle
them differently. Inside those classes, it will be possible to add the
resultant force on the ghost to the resultant force on the original one,
to impose that the movement of the ghost is the same as the movement of
the original sphere, etc.

Perhaps the member data of ghost spheres should be made of a lot of
references to member data of the original (resultant force, velocity,...).

This is how i would try to do it, not sure it's the best way however...

I would recommend waiting for the comments of Janeck :).

Bruno

--
Chareyre Bruno

Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble
Laboratoire 3S (Soils Solids Structures) - bureau I08
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 04.56.52.86.21