Re: reference sphere assembly

Václav Šmilauer a écrit :
> I would like to calibrate material parameters to match macroscopic
> properties using uniaxial traction and later triaxial compression tests.
> Is there some widely used, pre-generated sphere assmebly that has
> properties such as isotropy and "reasonable" radii variance that could
> be used? (Something like that should be part of Yade, I think).

On my side, I have tons of files with coordinates of sphere packings.
But at the end, you will probably find something that you don't like in
them, and you will want to generate your own packings.

> If no, what procedures to you recommend to create such assembly? How
> many sphere should I go for?

TriaxialStressController can be used for generating packings. It can
either 1/ squeeze the packing by moving boxes or 2/ fill the volume by
increasing the size of elements.
> I will work soon on triax test which will have "true" hydrostatic
> confinement (by using delaunay to detect the solid edge and applying
> forces at relevant spheres)
Very interesting!! We have a small-scale project here to compare
different types of boundary conditions (periodic, walls, membranes,
compression/shear, loading rate, etc..) your "true" confinment can be
one more thing to compare.

For the Delaunay part, do you plan to do a real-time triangulation of
the packing? What library will you use? because I'm working on that at
the moment with the CGAL lib.

Bruno

--

Chareyre Bruno

Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble
Laboratoire 3S (Soils Solids Structures) - bureau E145
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 00