Re: Compress stuff faster and better

Václav S a écrit :
> I was planning to implement a trivial gravity engine that would attract
> everything to a point somewhere. Wouldn't that compress better? (except
> that one needs to avoid singularity in the middle). Vaclav

The risk with such a gravity engine is to obtain non homogeneous
granular assembly, as with isotropic compression. This is the
consequence of arching effect developed by a granular assembly (even
with vanishing inter-granular friction angle).
I think the best is to find a process homogeneous "in nature" as the
compression by growing grains, or maybe, the Janek's
StaticAttractionEngine (I have never tried).

   Luc

>> Uh, in fact it's too slow, for bigger usage. That's because
>> everything is attracted to everything.
>>
>> But it can be useful in the initial stage of compression, when we
>> want to remove the central void.

Luc Sibille, Université de Nantes - Laboratoire GeM, maître de conférence

Adresse/address:
IUT de Saint Nazaire - Département de Génie-Civil
58, rue Michel-Ange - BP 420
44606 Saint-Nazaire Cedex   France

Tel: +33 2 40 17 81 78     Fax: +33 2 40 17 81 60