Important note on automatic critical dt : don't waste your precious time!!

To anybody using GlobalStiffnessTimeStepper :

The default safety coefficient on dt is 0.25, which means that the
actual dt in the simulation will be 0.25*(true critical dt).
0.25 is very low. The same value in PFC for instance is 0.8 by default.
We are investigating this with Janek atm, and in my last tests, I could
run simulation with safety coefficient = 1 without any trouble.
So try modifying this and if you don't see any problem go for less safety.
The same simulation wich need 100 iterations with safety=0.25 will need
only 25 iterations with safety=1.
This is not a negligeable difference...

I think I will change this default safety coefficient soon, to prevent
people from using such a conservative value.

Bruno

--

Chareyre Bruno

Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble
Laboratoire 3S (Soils Solids Structures) - bureau E145
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 43