Re: [Question #703901]: whats the difference between “GlobalStiffnessTimeStepper”and "O.dt"

Bruno Chareyre posted a new comment:
Hi,
> I am confused coz I tried these two ways and they are different in my simulation

They are derived with slightly different logics and so they have no
reason to be exactly the same. Usually they should be of the same order.

More generally I would give a response even stronger that Jan's: if GSTS
gives a certain O.dt with timestepSafetyCoefficient=0.8, then the
maximum O.dt you can theoretically use is 1.25 times greater (1/0.8). If
you exceed that it will not just "affect the stability". In most cases
it will go completely wrong (division by zero, NaN and such things) and
at some point it will segfault.

Better experiment with 4000 particles first, it will be easier to
understand what happens.

Also note that there is an example rotating drum using MPI parallelization:
https://gitlab.com/yade-dev/trunk/-/blob/master/examples/DEM2020Benchmark/Case2_rotating_drum_mpi.py

Cheers
Bruno