Re: [Question #705642]: Workstation

Sacha Duverger proposed the following answer:
Hi,

The fact that you are far away from your workstation doesn't mean that
you can't use it. You have at least a couple possibilities to connect to
use it remotely:

 1) with SSH (Secure SHell protocol) [1]. Basically, from a computer you
have at home (can be linux, macOS or Windows), you open a terminal and
type something like "ssh ${username-on-lab-worksation}@${lab-
workstation-ip-address}". It logs you onto your lab's workstation user
account, giving you access to your lab's workstation through a terminal.
To set it up, I'd advice to ask the technical support of your lab (you
probably need a VPN to access your lab's network), but you can also find
a lot of help with google (keywords: "ssh remote terminal, ssh ${your-
os} to linux, ...").

2) with a "remote desktop tool", e.g. x2go [2]. Basically, it opens on
your computer at home a window with your lab's workstation Desktop
interface, allowing you to use it just like if you were in front of it.
Of course, a lot more informations have to be transported between your
two computers so it requires a larger network speed than the solution
1). Here again, you should ask the technical support of your lab to help
you set it up.

Regarding your original question, the computer you need completely depends on the simulation you want to run. It would be easier for other users to help you if you give us some informations about your simulation, at least:
 - the number of discrete elements you need to model
 - the shape and contact models you are using

Other users who are using the same (or similar) models would then be
able to tell you the speed (in terms of DEM iterations/second) they
reach on their CPU, for a specific number of discrete elements. If you
know approximately how much iterations you need to perform (I guess you
do since you already ran your simulation), you would then be able to
estimate a computation time for a given CPU (and thus the computer you
need).

For instance, "yade -j8 --quickperformance" (4428 spheres with a basic
visco-elastic contact model) gave approximately 4766 iterations/second
on my computer (AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU with 16 GB of RAM). You could buy
a ready-to-use computer with this CPU for less than 1000 euros, I think.
If you can really go as far as 4500 euros, if I were you I would want a
AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPU since they are on top of several benchmarks

I hope you'll manage to rerun your simulation in time !

Sacha

[1]: https://www.ssh.com/academy/ssh
[2]: https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:newtox2go
[3]: https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/best-cpus