[Question #707370]: relation between unbalanced force nd equilibrium

Hi guys!
I'm simulating two layers of balls with some gap in between the layer. then I'm pressing the balls with a wall till the wall reaches a certain force. this force could be visualize as vertical stress on the balls. with a small number of balls this works well but when I increase the number of balls to a large value e.g. 500000, the wall reaches the target force before the gap between the layer is close.  so I use unbalanced force to ensure that the system reaches equilibrium under gravity. I want to know what should be the value of unbalanced force to ensure the near equilibrium condition, which is that balls should be in contact i.e. no gap condition.
Thanks