Re: A vision about what lies ahead

The Xiaomi Mi Max is a 64-bit phone. I guess Personal could be made to run on it as it stands currently.

On 06/04/17 11:01, Kristijan Žic wrote:
Some good news: http://www.unity8.org/

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 1:05 PM Piotrek Mitana <the.mail.of.mi2@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:the.mail.of.mi2@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I don't think moving from Snap to Flatpack will be the best idea.
    With this we would lose the base of Ubuntu Core, which is all
    about snaps. We could stick to deb base, but Ubuntu Core in my
    opinion wonderfully separates the layers - kernel is one snap,
    additional hardware support is the second (gadget snap) and the OS
    core functionality and libraries are the third (OS snap). At least
    if I understand the idea of Ubuntu Core correctly. Well played in
    case of OTA updates and supporting multiple devices.

    Having Ubuntu Core as base may be very helpful, as is sill - and
    from now on even more - comercially backed by Canonical. This
    increases chances that one day a hardware manufacturer would
    commercially release the device with Ubuntu Core and Unity OS on
    top of it.

    And with Ubuntu Core the base is already here - for desktop we do
    have Ubuntu Core and Unity 8 snap session. I don't know it Unity 8
    snap is runnable using Ubuntu Core itself (and not the deb-based
    Ubuntu Desktop with the snap session started).

    Snaps gained some traction in the community. We have VLC, I think
    Mozilla mentioned somewhere that it might create a Firefox snap
    sometime, and some other desktop apps are snapped as well. Not
    bad. Even some KDE apps are snapped and there is KDE Frameworks
    snap which might be a starting point to offer Plasma Active as well.

    The new OS can and in my opinion should still be all about Ubuntu.
    Let's correct some mistakes done before, but take all the bits
    that are still alive and have in mind that Canoncal's work can
    still be a big help in terms of the core.