Re: (unofficial) Debian packages for Toshiba AC100 (Tegra; armel and armhf)

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Julian Andres Klode <jak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I just finished the creation of a repository on people.debian.org
>> that provides the packages needed to run Debian GNU/Linux on the
>> Toshiba AC100 notebook device.
>
>  good call, julian!  btw do you happen to know of anyone who's
> replaced the screen with a 1280x800 or even a 1200x720?

 ok, julian: thank you to anders for notifying me that someone has in
fact changed their LCD display on their toshiba AC100 to something
that's actually useable for a programmer.  or a human.

 question:

 what is the best way to actually take into account, *without*
requiring a total recompile of the linux kernel, *without* requiring a
rebuild of any debian gnu/linux packages, variations in LCD screen
size when the "norm" is that both the LCD and the data structures in
the linux kernel are typically static and non-changeable?

 in some ways this is a rhetorical / leading question (but isn't
really) - i'm aware that there's usually an I2C ROM or other mechanism
for reading EDID data off of the LCD panel, to obtain its size... it's
just that this simply isn't done in the linux kernel source code
itself.

 2ndary question: has anyone encountered any linux kernel source code
where reading of the LCD panel's I2C ROM is actually done and used to
correctly start up whatever quotes embedded quotes LCD panel is
attached to the device?

l.