Re: Stability Under Load

On Aug 19, 2011, at 11:18, Gordan Bobic wrote:

> As some of you may have already heard on the IRC channel, I had my AC100 suddenly become very unstable under load. When doing big compile jobs, the compiler would relatively regularly segfault or detect hardware errors, or errors it didn't think was hardware and invited me to post a bug report with pre-processed C file. None of these were reproducible (it would error out in a different place on different runs). So I figured I had duff hardware and got another one. This is a lot better, but I still get spurious, unreproducible errors like this every few hours (old one would error out up to a few times/hour if it was being hammered with compiling jobs for a few hours). Both of mine are the 10U models with Micron RAM.

Fascinating.

> Now, either I am incredibly unlucky or something else is going on. What I would like to know is:
> 1) Do you use their AC100 for big compile jobs (e.g. the 2-day gcc compile)?
> 2) If 1), are you seeing random errors like what I'm describing?

I get some odd errors after I've left my TrimSlice on for a long time but haven't seen the things you're seeing. I'll do a big compile job and see if I can reproduce this because I think this is the same chip as the AC100. I also have an AC100 at home that I've been meaning to finish a Debian install on but we have a baby due so it turns out there are other priorities in life, according to my wife. (Who knew there was _anything_ more important than Linux?)

Regards,

Jeremiah