Re: Anyone missing config options in Precise

Am Montag, 27. Februar 2012, 12:54:35 schrieb Jani Monoses:
> Good to know. Let' see first why crypt is not built yet and then
> whether the initrd size issue can be understood and addressed.

well, we can either
	- revert 11b5fe26f (CHROMIUM: dm: Add support for devices by PARTUUID/PARTNROFF),
	- build it into the kernel (large module!)
	- export the symbol in genhd.c
	- do something completly different

Looks like a chromium specific hack, but reverting it may cause more harm than just
exporting the symbol.

Votes?

Marc

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > hi,
> > On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 12:10:40 +0200
> >
> > Jani Monoses <jani@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hi

> >> I just tried again and remembered the reason why dm_crypt (and all of
> >> dm) is turned off
> >>
> >> I could not get it to build since switching to the 3.0 tree.
> >>   Building modules, stage 2.
> >>   MODPOST 885 modules
> >> ERROR: "block_class" [drivers/md/dm-mod.ko] undefined!
> >> make[3]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
> >> make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2
> >> make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
> >>
> >> Marc, any idea?
> >
> > unless somone finds out why initrds are size limited (not sure if
> > u-boot might solve that, but the current port of u-boot still doesnt
> > seem mature enough to me to base images by default on it yet) you cant
> > really use dm-crypt in ubuntu installs due to the fact that cryptsetup
> > and friends get pulled into the initrd once you install the encrypttion
> > related userspace packages (happening through dependencies), which makes
> > it to big for the bootloader (and renders your system unbootable)...
> >
> > ciao
> >        oli

Dipl. Phys. Marc Dietrich
Institut für Angewandte Physik