acertimeline team mailing list archive

[Fwd: Re: BIOS update]

gomesr wrote:

Hello everyone,

Has anyone been successful in updating the BIOS? If so how? I would like
to update the BIOS of my 3810T but I'm currently only using Ubuntu 9.04
and can't get XP to install to a new partition for some reason.

Regards,
Rick Gomes
Hi!
I updated to Bios 1.04 using the installer from the web site prior to installing Linux. It's working but be aware that Acer's Bios File changed the Model name to "Acer Project" instead of "Acer Aspire 3810T" and it replaces the serial number of the laptop to a dummy serial as well, on my computer at least. Nevertheless the new Bios is working. But if you try to upgrade for having the Suspend/Resume, it did not help for me. I can only hiberate but not suspend to Ram. Instead of waking up, the computer powers off. For flashing your bios I recommend to create a BartPE bootable windows XP live cd (there are a lot of tutorials for that on the web) using a friend's PC and your windows xp cd. So you would have a Windows environment and you can use Acer's tool. I would not try to flash your bios under linux with third party tools. It could damage your PC and void your warranty.

Best regards
Alex

Follow ups