acertimeline team mailing list archive

Re: Possible fix for brightness issues

On 09-10-05 12:01 PM, Emiel Kollof wrote:
Hi folks,

[snip]

I found that I got brightness to work with my 5810T by updating the
kernel config in grub with "nomodeset acpi_backlight=vendor" added to
the kernel options. This will disable KMS, but this will also solve some
other problems as well, like Framebuffer Compression not being enabled
(and having unneeded drain on the battery due to unneeded refreshes). I
tested it only on Karmic, but I heard reports of it working for Jaunty
as well.

Cheers,
Emiel

Thanks for sharing. Got around to test it today. Only change I noticed while working with my 4810T it finally dims the backlight when idle, though that's when idle for ~30sec. Karmic still hard freezes when using FN+brightness keys, though.

-stj