acertimeline team mailing list archive

Re: Turn on problems with 4810T

Well, regarding the reliability of my Timeline laptop:

I own my 3810T since the 14th of July and tomorrow I am going to send it
to the Acer Service Center already for the second time. While at the first
time it was because the display backlight didn't turn on anymore (already
after 2 days), I am now not only affected by the
3410/3810-microphone-cable-"voluntary safety recall" like many others
(see: http://bit.ly/fwUKR ) but I am also facing a harddisk malfunction
that frequently caused/causes severe file system errors (and subsequently
disables the harddisk while a both optically and functionally quite
trimmed Ubuntu keeps on running in a very spooky way) and/or doesn't let
me boot at all because there is "no bootable device -- insert boot disk
and press any key".

Fortunately my dual-boot-Vista was so kind to not let me wait too long to
get blue-screened evidence that it is actually not an Ubuntu- or
Grub-related problem.

I am still not sure whether it is because of a defective harddisk (maybe
even as a result of the overheating microphone cable which very closely
passes the HD?) or because the harddisk seems to be built in a little bit
loosely: when opening the HD-lid, I sometimes was able to observe a small
gap where the HD is connected to the bus. After pushing the HD towards the
connection and thereby closing this tiny gap I had the impression that it
took some time until the file system errors reoccurred. I am also under
the impression that the HD was usually disabled after carrying the laptop
around and once, when the system refused to boot for five consecutive
times, I just tried to fix it by shaking the laptop while tilting it to
the right side (in order to make the HD slide into the connector) and - at
the next attempt it booted.

Did anyone have similar experiences? Hopefully not, this issue is really
getting tiring...

@Nick Glynn: What exactly happend after your laptop began to fail to turn on?

Cheers,

Max

> Just wondering how anyone else has found the reliability on this laptop.
I've
> just had to return mine after it began to fail to turn on before
eventually giving up all together. I know this isn't really a
Ubuntu/software thing
but