acertimeline team mailing list archive

Letter to Acer regarding suspend

Hey all,

I have written a letter to Acer regarding the suspend issue.  Clearly we are being blown off by customer service and support.  I think out best bet is to snail mail letters to their corporate headquarters.  If we can't get to them from the bottom up, let's do it from the top down.  Please print this out and snail mail it to the address I provide, or use it as a template for your own.

   Acer Management,

   I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 3810T.  It has thus far proved to be a wonderful little machine that is both light weight and has a great battery life.  There is, however, one major issue that has yet to be resolved.

   There appears to be a bug in the BIOS that prevents the machine from being able to suspend RAM under Linux.  The same issue was present in the 4810T, but was fixed with a BIOS update.  Several Acer customers have contacted Acer and have either received no response, or a simple insistence that Acer does not support Linux.  While this may be true, the issue was clearly identified in the 4810T BIOS, and applying it to the 3810T BIOS should be a simple matter.

   It is certainly your prerogative to support, or not, whichever operating systems you choose.  In this case, however, the fix is likely the same BIOS tweak that was applied to the 4810T.  Failing to release a simple fix to stand your ground that Linux will not be supported makes no sense.  You wind up alienating many customers in order to save a negligible amount of effort, or to prove a point.  Either way, it is bad business in my view.

   I write this letter in the hope that you can send word down to your engineers that this fix should be applied to the 3810T BIOS.  Normal customer service channels have proved unwilling to do this.  Should you decide to do so, you will have the gratitude of many customers, including me.

   More information on this issue can be found at the following websites.

Bug report:

Acer timeline group:
   https://launchpad.net/~acertimeline

Ubuntu Acer Timeline Forum Thread: