acmeattic-devel team mailing list archive

Re: DropBox vs. SpideOak

On Monday 05 July 2010 10:34 PM, Karthik Swaminathan Nagaraj wrote:
Hey Guys,
I was looking for use-cases and sharing models that AcmeAttic should provide. I came across interesting differences between the two famous online backup providers. I don't know if you guys have used DropBox, but paranoid I was I had never tried DropBox myself though I knew what it did.
Let me summarize my findings.

*DropBox:*

    * Creates a 'DropBox' folder somewhere on your computer.
    * Any file that you need to be backed up/synced needs to be put
      inside your dropbox folder.
    * Or, you can choose one folder to be your Dropbox folder
    * All your clients would sync this dropbox folder between them

*SpiderOak:*

    * It recognizes all your clients individually by names (that you
      assign)
    * You can share *any* folder anywhere on your machine. These
      folders can be disjoint. All sub-folders are implicitly shared.
    * SpiderOak maintains all revisions for all the shared
      files/folders on this machine.
    * Every client has its *own* shared folders. These are *not*
      synced among themselves by default (makes sense as they are
      different machines).
    * You can always download any data from any of your clients.
    * *Sync* is a separate feature in SpiderOak. You create a sync
      folder by selecting two folders from two different machines (or
      a machine and a external HDD)
    * All files in this sync folder is synced between all machines. In
      essence, this is an instance of a DropBox folder.
    * You can create as many sync folders as you want.

I have not explored the sharing feature as yet, but SpiderOak offers something called a ShareRoom which you can create and (possibly) pick files/folders to share.

Bottom line: I think we should build our application based out of SpiderOak which is much more superior in terms of features. I like their share and sync model which cleanly separates the use-cases. Personally, I would find use for /both/ those features.

Did you guys know about these as yet? I am quite interested in framing up our application scenario first. Atleast a vague idea of the features.

Yeah, it does seem to be the case that SpiderOak has a lot more useful features, and their guarantee about security is much more believable than Dropbox's. While we can still pick and choose the features that we would like to implement, we need to pay close attention to designing the backend architecture that allows these features to be built.

In particular, I would like to see the following high level features built in AcmeAttic: sync any folder on the client's filesystem with the attic, sync from multiple devices, download (and sync) files that were synced from a different machine. Encryption should be optional for specific files or folders (it should by default be encrypted, but the user can change this if required). Sharing should also be flexible, but I don't think we need to implement the feature of creating a shared virtual folder that can have any subset of files on the attic.

--
Aditya