androidu1-users team mailing list archive

Welcome to the mailing list :)

Hi everybody!

I am pleased to write the first mail to this mailing list.

First of all, let me shortly introduce myself. My name is Michał Karnicki,
and I have successfully joined this years Google Summer of Code 2010 with
AndroidU1 project, which all of you are already more or less familiar with
:). As you may find on Ubuntu's GSoC related WIKIs, my mentor is Stuart
Langridge, very cool guy and an important Canonical developer of Ubuntu One.

Some of you may have already beta-tested the Android application, though
it's far from beta, rather a bleeding-edge development version just to show
to my mentor (and optionally some of more interested people) how am I doing.
Since you have already subscribed and show interest in the project, I'll let
myself remind the link to the application that you can download and play
around with http://goo.gl/MfwG

*BUT* please bare in mind this is nothing like the end product, and by that
I mean any bugs and lack of functionality. For now, you can log-in and
browse the files, that's it. For those that haven't been following, previous
week I had my exams and had to take a little break. But fear not, I have
just arrived at my hometown for the rest of the holiday, got a full fridge
(recall the GSoC proposal ;) ) and I'm ready to rock!

I was supposed to implement downloading of files this week. However, after
consulting that with my mentor, I have decided to first focus on moving some
critical functionality of the application into a Service (some of you may
know that Activities brought to background can be killed [i.e. interrupted
file download], or the issue of restarting the app (+reconnect+auth) when
you go landscape [which I have temporarily blocked]). When I have that
ready, implementing download and upload of files should be quite easy. It
would also be easy know, but why waste time on pushing myself to meet the
schedule if that code would have to be refactored and moved to a Service
anyway.

To sum up, quite soon you can hopefully expect much better base for the
application (the service) and more well implemented functionality, such as
file up/download. Additionally, implementing those parts as a service will
later benefit implementing the real-sync features.

Sorry for quite long mail, feel free to start project-related threads on
this mailing list or contact me directly.

You can quite often catch me on #ubuntuone and #androidu1 at
irc.freenode.net or just leave me a message.
You can also ask questions on launchpad
https://answers.launchpad.net/androidu1 or report bugs. However the project
is not really in phase where I expect you file bug reports - I'm aware of
quite a few issues present (just to name a few so you know that I know ;)
protocol buffers bug, login screen reappearing, remove from U1 doesn't close
the app, etc)

Take care everybody and wish me luck, I hope next 1.5 month will be well
spent on the project, and beyond that - we've got tons of ideas more:)

Mike